I see this map nearly everyday and on the way back from Next Choreography. It always stood out to me because it is so short and uncomplicated compared to the other tube maps. I’m not sure why, but today it reminded me of the improvisation scores we created last week (1/12/16) at NC.
Just to clarify, a score could be any rule or structure used in improv, for example you can’t stop moving. We decided it would be a good idea to create a score where all the dancers either had to be in eye contact with one other dancer or have their eyes shut, easier said than done, that’s for sure. We had more than one score, just to complicate things – like laughing if you heard someone else laugh or trying to go up or down at the same time as the other dancers (very difficult with your eyes shut.)
Going back to the image, the white circles with the line between the two for some reason, reminded me of trying to dance with my eyes shut and blindly searching for someone to make eye contact with. When dancing, we somehow had a sense of where we were going and how to get to each other, without the need for vision.
Thank you Seke for the eye-opening session, hope you feel better Amy !
Last week we worked on the instructions I prepared. I wanted the participants to feel free, to allow themselves to feel the space and time, and also encourage them to increase their body awareness. I divided the score in 2 sections: the first part was more focused on each individual while the second was centred on the group.
In my perspective I felt the dancers translated quite literally the instructions into movement and it made me think that more than interpreting the instructions, they reacted to them – which I also found really curious and interesting.
I found some of their choices really compelling about the setting: the use of the benches in different positions and the spoken words.
After observing their response a number of times I realised that the sense of group and belonging needed to be emphasised so I decided to adapt a few things: changing some of the dancers’ positions in space so they could finish together as a whole instead of separated in the room by the end of the piece.
I feel really grateful for having had the opportunity to work on my set of instructions. It helped me considerably to develop my choreographic understanding and it made me more conscious about editing processes.
You can find the videos here:
Clip 1 – first version from the dancers
Clip 2 – second version after editing
Please find below the pictures of the original score of instructions.